Re: Autox Sprite Handling Questions (actually driving technique)

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Autox Sprite Handling Questions (actually driving technique)
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:08:59 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
OK, here goes. I think I have rationalised what I do. I just do it on the
track,
I don't really think about it!!!!

In normal hard driving (and in many "how to race" books), you approach
a corner at speed; hit the brakes; turn into corner still braking; apply
power
at the apex; accelerate out of corner.

If you do this effectively, the weight transfer ensures that the inside rear
is
well and truly unladen at the apex, and applying power will result in
wheelspin (948's aside :-). Once you have the wheelspin you have to back
off a little or straighten up. Either way, you've lost valuable corner exit
speed
and your time will be *slow*!

This is what I have done to avoid this. YMMV of course.

I approach the corner, brake harder than anyone else ( :-), off the brakes
while still in a straight line and get back on the power at turn-in.
Actually
the process could be:  off brakes, turn-in, allow the rear end to get a
little
loose, apply power *OR* off brakes, apply power and turn-in at the same
time *OR* off brakes, apply power, turn-in.

I know it sounds stupid, but I
am not really sure how it ended up. I consciously tried all of these once
upon
a time and now I just do it. I'd actually have to think about it next time
I'm
on the track (Nov 7/8, Eastern Creek 6 hour relay race) to tell you which I
actually use!!!

Why do this? Well the weight transfer under acceleration is to the rear
wheels
and this means you won't lift the inside rear. Furthermore, applying full
power
like this (and a little opposite lock) gets the car into a proper 4 wheel
drift,
even in relatively low speed tighter turns.

On really tight stuff, you'll definitely need to flick the back out by
turning in off
the throttle and get back on the throttle again in time to keep it from
spinning.

As a result of all this, your corner exit speed will be high, you'll be on
the throttle
all the way through the bend and you'll have more fun than everyone else
too!

I hope this is a good enough explanation. If not, you'll just have to be
passenger in my car and observe it for yourself!!!!

Mike