RE: Autox Sprite Handling Questions (actually driving technique)

To: "'Curt Oliver'" <coliver@cyberhighway.net>, "'Mike Gigante'" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: RE: Autox Sprite Handling Questions (actually driving technique)
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <zurschmeidej@interactivenw.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:01:45 -0800
Cc: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I suppose I should mention that if you run stock bearings and
hubs in a racing (and probably autocrossing, too) environment,
this is a perennial problem.

The issue isn't so much the diff, I think, but the flexing of the "hat"
of
the axle as you laterally load the car again and again. Those bearing
hubs were *never* meant to take the kind of loading we can produce
with a set of 185/60-13 Hoosiers or BFGs.

The solution, unfortunately, involves spending the money on a
set of double-bearing hubs. I have never (knock furiously on
wood) snapped or had the hat come off an axle while running
those hubs. And I just run stock rear axles, not the groovy
competition ones.

JZ