Re: More Sprite Rush Pictures

To: billwalters2@juno.com (William M Walters)
Subject: Re: More Sprite Rush Pictures
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 23:58:08 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bill, do you realize what you just said?  Please - nobody  take offense,
but Bill's post forces me to say the following:

1) Few things are more irritating than waiting to receive a half-dozen
unsolicited, uncompressed attached TIFF images amounting to several MB,
when all you want is to check your e-mail on the way out the door.
2) Sometimes images have to be manually de-coded before they can even be
viewed.
3) The scans sent are seldom appropriate sizing, file size, or file format
for placement on the site without discussing things first.  JPG files
cannot be re-sized without degradation of the image.  There are many
different degrees of JPG compression - I try to keep each photo at exactly
500 pixels wide, with a file size of no more than 40K.  Other file formats
are too big of files.
4) Server space costs money - and outloads from the site is generally
watched by the ISPs.  Probe was very nice and gave me a great deal to host
the web site because the manager always "lusted after a bugeye" (shell
account for $9.95/mo, with no limits on downloads).  Probe was recently
bought by Radiks.  I do not want to draw attention to the account by making
it incredibly over-sized.
5) As a general rule, I have tried not to place photos by themselves on
PDLJMPR.  Submissions are always more than welcome, but the site has
traditionally been for stories that are accompanied by photos.  There is
only so much that can be done with a bare photo
6) However, if you want to place a bunch of bare photos on your own web
site and have PDLJMPR provide a single link and description to that content
- that would work out really great.

If images are to be sent to PDLJMPR, they should be cleared first with the
interim PDLJMPR editor Bill Shickling (bugeye@dreamscape.com) and sent to
him (not me).  He's the man right now!

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but this has the potential to get out of hand
very quickly.

Regards,

Les Myer