Got my manifolds off, but the head is stuck

To: midgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Got my manifolds off, but the head is stuck
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:55:20 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I finally got a chance to get the intake and exhaust manifolds
off my 77 Midget.  The solution for the two bolts between the manifolds
was to take a 9/16" open end wrench and bend it about 15-20 degrees.
Then I could reach the bolt that was front from underneath.  The bolt
in the back could not be reached from underneath due to the heat
collector (I'm guessing, the thing that is attached to the exhaust
manifold and goes to the air cleaner) was in the way.  What I did there
was to stick the bent wrench in between the two manifolds, and then use
a big pair of pliers to spin the wrench.

I now have the following off:  both manifolds, valve rocker, water pump,
and all 10 nuts holding the head,  but the head is still stuck tight.
Here is what I have tried:

1.  Just pulling it off.  No go, I would need superman for that.

2.  Install all four plugs, put back the head nuts and tighten them finger
tight. I then backed them off 1 turn.  The value rocker is off so
all of the valves are closed.  I then cranked the engine.  The
compression did not work the head loose.

3.  I then removed all of the spark plugs and fed a bunch of clean
cotton rope into the cylinders (two at a time).  I then turned the
engine over by the big nut on the crankshaft.  Still no luck.  Since
my crescent wrench had trouble staying on the nut I tried putting the
car in gear and rolling it forwards.  The rope gets compressed and
then the car stops dead.

4.  Gave up it was 1:30 AM and I figure if I kept at it I would
just wind up making my problem worse.  For once I used good
judgment.

How can I get this thing off? How hard can I roll the car before
I have to worry about bending or breaking a rod?  I could roll
it down the driveway and pop the clutch :-)  I would bet something
would happen.

Any ideas would be helpful.  I really thought that the rope
(another idea from this list) would work.   I just don't want to make
my troubles or repairs bigger then they are now.

Thanks,

Bill
--
William M. Gilroy