Re: Got my manifolds off, but the head is stuck

To: midgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Got my manifolds off, but the head is stuck
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:33:55 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
William M. Gilroy wrote:

> I now have the following off:  both manifolds, valve rocker, water pump,
> and all 10 nuts holding the head,  but the head is still stuck tight.
> Here is what I have tried:

Almost everyone has suggested that I remove all of the studs then try to
remove the head.  So I headed home and gave it a try.  I used two nuts
screwed together to unscrew the studs.  This worked fine on 7 out of 10
of the studs.  The last three are really stuck.  I spray some PB blaster
on them and walked away.  I really don't want to break one of these studs
off in the block.  That could only make my problems worse.

My questions is this, just how much force can I apply to the studs before
breaking them becomes an issue?  Or if someone has a better idea on how to
get them out let me know.  Anyway thanks for all of the advice on getting
this apart.

Bill

--
William M. Gilroy