MG Midget update

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, howersl@apci.com, NAMGBRED@aol.com, phax@eng.kns.com
Subject: MG Midget update
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:04:18 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This long weekend was my chance to clean the garage enough to make room for
the '77 Midget.  It is now safely locked inside after a push up the hill.
(Three of us, not too bad.)

I started looking around inside and underneath.  Lots of little things that I
really want to fix, but I have to cool my jets and get it actually running on
the road before I do all the little (read: expensive) stuff.  i.e. There is a
coily spring holding the radiator expansion tank, rather than the metal strap;
there is another coily spring for the throttle return that goes over to the
spill tank (see another post on the Spridgets and MG lists if you can help!);
windscreen washer bag is missing (no big deal); badly corroded starter
solenoid; no wire on the brake pressure warning valve; other wires and
electrical boxes, etc. not connected to anything.

I am focusing on the brakes and clutch, so I can get it safe to run.  Will
begin ordering parts.  I went around the car with a can of WD40 and sprayed
everything that moves!  Everything is tight from sitting.  That should loosten
things so I don't break them.  Took a look at the new hood that was in the
boot when I got the car.  It looks REALLY NICE!  Didn't find any hardware,
except a small bag of sheet metal screws that appear to be the ones for the
header bar that replace the pop rivets that have to be drilled out.  I hope
Moss can help with a required hood hardware list.  WD40'd every joint on the
hood frame and it operates smoothly.

Next step is to jack the car up and put it on the stands so I can lose the old
tires and clean up the Rostyles, and start the brakes.  I'm still having fun!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport