Re: electric fan

To: emakris@hol.gr, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: electric fan
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:58:21 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Evangelos, list,

At any speed above about 35mph or so the engine fan or even an electric fan
contributes just about nothing to the airflow passing through the radiator.
So in reply to your first question the answer is NO.

 <If there is an electric fan right in front of the rad wouldn't that
 impede the flow of air to the rad (when fan is stopped), therefore
 making matters worse?>

With a big enough electric fan, a modern pump and big pulley you ought to be
able to resolve this problem.  BUT...you live in a hot country.

< After having flushed the rad, replaced the thermostat with a 74C,
 put in new elbow, water pump and gaskets, new hoses, etc. I still
 get 90-100 C while in sluggish traffic.>

I personally wouldn't bother with 2 fans - just a single electric.  Note that
the engine fan is not working as hard in traffic as it does on open roads,
which is exactly the opposite of what the engine needs!!!  If you don't want
to fit an electric fan you can hunt around for the 16 blader.  BUT... is the
fan the whole solution - go for the custom radiator.

 <I think the solution may be to find or custom make a larger core
 radiator.   However I don't know if it will fit there between
 the two fans (engine and electric). Maybe the electric one will have
 to go. Has anyone tried any of this?>

The Speedwell radiator is for better cooling and lighter - at least the book
and/or Speedwell claim and I have no reason to doubt either.  However, if
Greece is in the EEC/European single market you could get a suitable radiator
from Frontline Spridget who are making copies of the Serck Racing Radiator
that the Power Tune book also details.  BUT... the cheapest option is still
likely to be getting your existing copper/brass unit rebuilt with a big core.

Finally, you could always consider removing the thermostat, replacing it with
a blanking sleeve and also (a MUST) blank off the bypass.  This will give a
surefire drop in temperature and is dirt cheap.  The drawback is longer warm
up times - a problem in Greece at any time of the year you use the car?

Daniel1312

 In the book "How to power tune.." there is a mention to an all
 aluminium rad, made in the USA. Is this a better cooling aid or
 just lighter?

 Thank you
 Regards
 Evangelos >>