Tranny - Rear End - Same oil??

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tranny - Rear End - Same oil??
From: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:43:17 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     Hello listers,

     I'm very concerned.  I have been following the thread about fluids
     over the last few days and there seems to be a question about using
     80w90 gear oil in LBC trannies.  Damage could result???

     I AM using Valvoline 80w90 High Performance gear oil in the rear end
     AND the tranny on my '62 A/H Sprite MKII for about six months now.  I
     did this based on information I got from an MG web site (don't shoot
     me) from the UK.  The Cambridge District MG Division Owners Club tips
     page.  Check it out.

     http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cambs.mgoc/tips.htm

     then click on "T-Series Lubrication"

     Just a clip of the verbiage from this location.....

     "The gearbox oil should be checked each 1000 miles and topped up to
     the "High" mark. It should be drained and refilled every 6000 miles.
     The recommended gearbox lubricant is an extreme pressure "EP" gear oil
     of 90 weight such as Castrol Hypoy C Gear Oil (SAE 80W90)

     The rear axle lubricant should be checked every 1000 miles, also
     changed every 6000 miles, with the same oil as the gearbox. It should
     be filled to the level of the square-headed filler plug on the right
     front of the differential housing, just behind the rear universal
     joint. When changing the oil, be sure to clean the hollow center of
     the drain plug before it is replaced and tightened. ( Be sure to check
     this plug for tightness. A lost plug can spell disaster!!! )"

     Naturally, this is one opinion or point of view and it clearly states
     to use the same oil in both locations.  However, I do not want my
     syncros to be attacked and disintegrated.

     I have asked Valvoline, via their web site, if harm to our trannies
     will happen if we use their product there.  I am anxiously awaiting
     their answer.  I'll post what I get back.

     Should I immediately drain my tranny and fill with something else?
     What??

     David L. Vrba
     Dublin, CA
     '62 Sprite MKII