Re: Tranny - Rear End - Same oil??

To: Dave Vrba <Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny - Rear End - Same oil??
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:39:53 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,
I would drain that stuff :-)
EP (extreme pressure) or GL-5 rated oils are normally agressive.
Special synthetics such as Redline MTL or SAE90 are GL-5 rated, but they
say that they use more modern formulations that are not as agressive and
can be used in transmission for which non-EP GL-1 through 4 are specified.
So they could PROBABLY be used in our trannies.

Based on this info (that I read on the Redline web page), I would NOT use
a GL-5 or EP rated gear oil in an early Spridget trans.  1500s are
different.

Ulix

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Dave Vrba wrote:

>      Hello listers,
>
>      I'm very concerned.  I have been following the thread about fluids
>      over the last few days and there seems to be a question about using
>      80w90 gear oil in LBC trannies.  Damage could result???
>
>      I AM using Valvoline 80w90 High Performance gear oil in the rear end
>      AND the tranny on my '62 A/H Sprite MKII for about six months now.  I
>      did this based on information I got from an MG web site (don't shoot
>      me) from the UK.  The Cambridge District MG Division Owners Club tips
>      page.  Check it out.
>
>      http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cambs.mgoc/tips.htm
>
>      then click on "T-Series Lubrication"
>
>      -----------------------------------------------------------------
>      Just a clip of the verbiage from this location.....
>
>      "The gearbox oil should be checked each 1000 miles and topped up to
>      the "High" mark. It should be drained and refilled every 6000 miles.
>      The recommended gearbox lubricant is an extreme pressure "EP" gear oil
>      of 90 weight such as Castrol Hypoy C Gear Oil (SAE 80W90)
>
>      The rear axle lubricant should be checked every 1000 miles, also
>      changed every 6000 miles, with the same oil as the gearbox. It should
>      be filled to the level of the square-headed filler plug on the right
>      front of the differential housing, just behind the rear universal
>      joint. When changing the oil, be sure to clean the hollow center of
>      the drain plug before it is replaced and tightened. ( Be sure to check
>      this plug for tightness. A lost plug can spell disaster!!! )"
>
>      ---------------------------------------------------------------
>      Naturally, this is one opinion or point of view and it clearly states
>      to use the same oil in both locations.  However, I do not want my
>      syncros to be attacked and disintegrated.
>
>      I have asked Valvoline, via their web site, if harm to our trannies
>      will happen if we use their product there.  I am anxiously awaiting
>      their answer.  I'll post what I get back.
>
>      Should I immediately drain my tranny and fill with something else?
>      What??
>
>      David L. Vrba
>      Dublin, CA
>      '62 Sprite MKII