RE: GTO

To: pvanner@pclink.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GTO
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:32:48 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
OK you got me into this.  Can not find the reference so am going on memory
(you know what thats worth)

Snip
<<What's interesting is that Ferrari made only 39 GTOs and 100 were required
for homologation at the time. >>

As I recall Ferrari told FIA that they would build 100 cars at the FIRST of
the racing season and got away with never building more than the 39.  Here is
memory again, by the '60's GT (in the international world) referred to cars
that handled like sports cars, went fast and with comfort.  "So that after
hours of driving you would not be exhausted",  can not find that quote either.
All though most were fixed tops by then such as Aston Martin DB2/4's, some
Ferrari's, M-B 300SL to mention a few, cars with removable tops, 2 or 4 seats
could fit into this description, clearly the terms were getting fuzzy and U.S.
marketing only mad it worse.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite  (Mk IV in disguise)