Fiberglass Floorboards (was Re: DIY Carpet + DPO)

Subject: Fiberglass Floorboards (was Re: DIY Carpet + DPO)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:57:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> When we warm up a bit I will be removing the seats and floor carpet to see
> what condition the floorboards are in.  Since I am not going for concours (I
> just want to have fun!) I may reinforce the floorboards with fiberglass.  I
> bought some Corroless from Eastwood when I went out there, to seal the rust
> first.

Allen,
before you do this, I would make sure thet the floorboards do not flex.
If the do, the fiberglass might break away from the metal and by the
capillary effect (moisture gets sucked into small cracks) you will get
major rusting.
If the floorboards are structurally sound, I would use a 4" grinder with a
twisted wire brush attachment to get rid of as much rust as possible.
Then you could use some POR-15.  This will add *some* strength to them.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9