engine - rebuilt but never run

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: engine - rebuilt but never run
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:45:36 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Howdy,

Due to an amazing stroke of luck, and the help of a friend who owns an MGB,
I have a line on an engine (1275 A) that was rebuilt 3 years ago but never
run. The owner died shortly after getting it back together and it has since
sat in someones' backyard, up off the ground, under a plastic tarp. When I
looked at it a week ago, it had surface rust on the outside and there was
oil in the engine. I gave a half hearted attempt to try to turn it over but
the sparkplugs were in and we didn't have the toolbox with us. This engine
is really cheap, so I'm going to pick it up and try to run it in my car
while I get my original engine rebuilt. Is there anything I should look out
for on an engine that has sat outside for so long?

Thanks,

Robert Weeks

Durham NC
1969 Midget