Re: Rear end drain plug tool

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Rear end drain plug tool
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:42:33 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> Mark Snowdon wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone ever come up with what size bit(socket with stub) was needed
> > to pull the rear end fill plug?
>
> Just stick the 3/8 drive of your ratchet wrench in the square hole and
> unscrew it.
> Others have gone as far as to grind down a 1/2" ratchet wrench extension
> to fit the plug perfectly. This should NOT be done with "Mac" tools but
> with the cheapo chinese jobs available for $5 for a whole assortment.
> 1/2" is a bit big, 3/8 is a bit small so the actual size of the plug
> must be 7/16". I always used just the drive end of a 3/8 ratchet with no
> troubles.
> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ
> Bugeye Sprite
> 67 Sprite
> 59 A40
> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/

I tried to use the ratchet but found that the plug was very tight or
seized. I was afraid of stripping out the head of the plug or I would
have give it a little more HMPH. It take another shot at it tomorrow,
right now I am going to spray some PB Baster on it and let it soak in
overnight.

On another note, does anyone have a favorite cleaning solution for
mopping their garage or shop floor? I want to clean up my shop and
possible paint a section of floor that has never been painted. I think
you will like the color, it is described as chimney brick, but to me it
looks like MG engine maroon.