Re: Rear end drain plug tool

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
To: racer45@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Rear end drain plug tool
From: TYPE79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:12:53 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On 02/07/99 23:42:33 you wrote:

>Frank Clarici wrote:
>>
>> Mark Snowdon wrote:
>> >
>> > Did anyone ever come up with what size bit(socket with stub) was needed
>> > to pull the rear end fill plug?
>>
>> Just stick the 3/8 drive of your ratchet wrench in the square hole and
>> unscrew it.
>> Others have gone as far as to grind down a 1/2" ratchet wrench extension
>> to fit the plug perfectly. This should NOT be done with "Mac" tools but
>> with the cheapo chinese jobs available for $5 for a whole assortment.
>> 1/2" is a bit big, 3/8 is a bit small so the actual size of the plug
>> must be 7/16". I always used just the drive end of a 3/8 ratchet with no
>> troubles.
>> --
>> Frank Clarici
>> Toms River, NJ
>> Bugeye Sprite
>> 67 Sprite
>> 59 A40
>> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/
>
>I tried to use the ratchet but found that the plug was very tight or
>seized. I was afraid of stripping out the head of the plug or I would
>have give it a little more HMPH. It take another shot at it tomorrow,
>right now I am going to spray some PB Baster on it and let it soak in
>overnight.
>
>On another note, does anyone have a favorite cleaning solution for
>mopping their garage or shop floor? I want to clean up my shop and
>possible paint a section of floor that has never been painted. I think
>you will like the color, it is described as chimney brick, but to me it
>looks like MG engine maroon.

Mark,
I had very good luck using simple green concentrated/undiluted to clean a large
area in a concrete floor which had been soaked with oil for years.

I let it sit, mopped it up, reapplied it several times. It seemed to extract
the oil from the concrete. I later treated the entire floor with a mild
solution of muriatic acid before painting it with an industrial floor paint.

That was nine years ago and the paint still adheres.

Jay Fishbein, CT