Re: Master Cylinder

To: davenesseth@xta.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:59:34 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/26/99 7:31:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
davenesseth@xta.com writes:

<< Lurk Mode Off, Help Mode On,
   I have a 1979 Midget with a dual line master cylinder. I get no flow out
 of the rear hole of the master cylinder, This line runs  the rear brakes.
 Will a master cylinder rebuild kit fix this problem? Is there a fix that
 anyone knows of? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dave,

Don't mess around with the MC rebuild unless you are really familiar with how
to do it.  Basically, I figure, if you have to ask the question, you probably
aren't!  No flame intended, I'm just being cautious.  You don't want to take a
chance with the brakes.

Go to an Advance Auto parts store.  They have rebuilt dual MCs for anywhere
from $40 to $87.  You can't beat the price, even though it doesn't have the
lifetime warranty of the $160.00 rebuilders.  I paid $87 for mine, then I saw
the lower price posted here by several others.  Tell them that a buddy just
got one for $40, and maybe they'll match it.

>From what I hear, they are a pain to take apart.  I read the Haynes and the
Bentley books, but the list went over the procedure in steps while someone
tried to disassemble one.  It took about a week!

Good luck.  Safety fast!  (So you have to be able to stop!)

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport