Optima Thread

Subject: Optima Thread
From: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:07:27 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Mark Snowdon wrote:

> Optima batteries, as I had it explained to me yesterday, are dry cell
> batteries, like the batteries in your watch or calculator. And that hey
> do not vent any substances. I like the sound of that, but agree they are
> expensive, so only the Auto-X Midge will get one, and the Sprite will be
> stuck with a regular Interstate.
>
> Mark Snowdon
> BRGsboro NC

FYI

As a former member of the Electric Vehicle list, I am aware that Optimas are
"gel cells." Dry cell batteries are primary batteries - they can't be
recharged. Optimas are lead acid batteries, the plates are arranged as
spirals in cylinders (explains the shape) and, since the plates are close
together, the battery acid can be gelled, yet still function. They do vent
very little, and only if overcharged.

My 2 cents

Dave Brown
Palmdale