Timing Chain Noise?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing Chain Noise?
From: TMHEFFRON@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:08:04 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I am getting a highpitched tinkling noise (insert bathroom jokes here) from
my 66 Sprite 1098 engine on over run. It sounds just like light pinging but
it's isn't. It isn't audible under accelleration or at speed, probably
because of the exhaust noise, but is easy to hear after letting off the gas.
It's doesn't sound like small end or big end rod knock, is the same speed and
frequency as valve train noise. Timing chain? Valve guide? Any suggestions?

Terry
St. Charles, Illinois