Re: Timing Chain Noise?

To: TMHEFFRON@aol.com
Subject: Re: Timing Chain Noise?
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:50:03 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Terry,

There are acouple of places that are frequently overlooked for light
"tinkling" noises.  I would look at the crankshaft pulley for some
looseness.  If you are using the riveted pressed steel pulley, the rivets
may be coming loose and the halves slipping back and forth.  The big nut
could still be tight.  The other is the generator pulley loose on the
armature.  Sloppiness on the key area produces a light noise such as you
have described.  The timing chain usually has more of a rattle sound to
it than tinkle noise.  If it is REALLY loose, sometimes it will slap on
the inside of the timing cover.

Hope this helps some.

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com