Re: windshield and rubber

To: Ronsoave@aol.com
Subject: Re: windshield and rubber
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 23:14:06 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ronsoave@aol.com wrote:

> The windshield rubber, both inner and outer, that holds the windshield to the
> frame is pretty cruddy on the Bugeye, and I would like to replace both the
> glass and rubber.  The piller pads and windshield frame-to-body strip are
> both excellent, replaced by PO days before I picked up the car 2 years ago.
> Question- is this a difficult job?  When I bought the car the PO said he left
> the windshield as-is because he heard it was tough to repair and was "afraid
> of screwing it up."  All thoughts/experiences appreciated.  The rubber is so
> dry now I'm afraid all vibration damping is gone, and I'm heading for a nasty
> crack.
>
> TIA,
> Ron

Ron

I would leave this to a glass man unless you are expierienced with
installing windshields with a wire.
Also, make sure you have the correct rubber. Those (you know which ones)
not only fit wrong, they will look like you 40 year old rubber in about
a year.
My local windshield guy installed my Bugeye glass in 10 minutes. He also
did the front and rear windshields on the A40. I tried the Mini at home
with a wire, it took me all night! So from then on I just drop in on
Mike at the shop with a large coffee in hand and he does it for me.
My cost for lots of glass work so far has been a few coffees and having
to build him some special folding contraption where he makes window
screens with alarm wires in them. I do not know what a glass shop would
charge. Walk in with coffee, donuts, the new rubber, new windshield, and
frame in hand. These guys love a challange!
You should have seen the response I got when I motored in to Midas
Mufflers with the A40 and told them "hang a system on it"
4 guys and me in the shop, welders going, pipes flying, mufflers being
tried, 4 hours later I drove out almost as happy as the guys who cobbled
up a system for a 59 Austin.
Give it a try, maybe they will enjoy the challange too.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ