Re: Tonneau cover

To: Dave Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>, Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Tonneau cover
From: Brian Thornton <bthor@master.adams.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 09:25:36 -0400
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave,

What you've said is correct, the BMC tonneau was retained in the rear by
the two chrome hood anchors, by four (two each side) Tenax fasteners and by
two (one each side) turn button fasteners.  The front of the tonneau cover
is retained by three lift-the-dot fasteners.  These studs are located near
the left and right windscreen posts and the third is located either to the
left or right side of the rear view mirror.  Left hand drive cars have the
stud located to the right of the mirror.  Right hand drive cars have the
stud located to the left.  This arrangement provides a bit more room for
the driver should the tonneau be left in place during motoring.  There is a
provision in the tonneau for the steering wheel.  The zipper is not brass
it is either zinc or nickel plated.  The zipper tab has a round hole
stamped through it and is marked "SWIFT".  The inner surface of the tonneau
cover is tan.  These observations are taken from my NOS BMC tonneau cover,
part number AHA5257.

Happy Healeying!

Brian Thornton
AN5
AN9

  At 01:40 AM 4/6/99 -0500, Dave Woerpel wrote:
>Mike,
>
>It's my understanding that Bugeyes had the "long" tonneau; that is, it
uses the
>escutchions to which the hood(top) fastens.  Mine too had the
"lift-the-dot" pegs just
>behind the rear cockpit trim and my tonneau, w/ brass zipper, was stamped
"AMCO", a
>well known aftermarket company.  When I called Terry Horler and Anders
Clausager they
>both agreed that the tonneau fitted at the Works was of the long type. My
car did have
>three holes on the front fascia for "L-t-D" pegs.  There should be only
one in the
>center so the drivers side can be unzipped w/o unfastening.  My car and
some others had
>"L-t-D" pegs holding the rearview mirror in place and the tonneau fastened
to that.
>When I stripped the car, I found that the original hole in the center had
been neatly
>welded closed.
>
>Anyone else shed any light on what was "Original"?
>Hope this helps,
>Dave
>

>Mike Maclean wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>     Is that tonneau cover from AH Spares held on in the rear by the two
chrome
>> escutions that normally hold the rear bar for the top.  Did Bugeyes
originally have
>> a long tonneau that connected at the top of the dash and all the way
back to the
>> same place as the top?
>> I've noticed some that have after market bayonet studs screwed in just
behind the
>> aluminium trim piece.  Before we started the bodywork on my Bugeye, the
holes were
>> there behind the rear aluminium trim piece for the cockpit, but there
were no
>> corresponding holes on the top of the dash!  Figure that one out.
>> Mike MacLean-60 Sprite
>>
>> Dave Woerpel wrote:
>>
>> > Doug,
>> > Recently purchased a tonneau for the Bugeye from
>> > AH Spares, Ltd.
>> > Units 7&8 Westfield Rd
>> > Kineton Road Industrial Estate
>> > Southam
>> > Warwickshire  CV33  OJH
>> > phone: 011-44-1926 817181
>> >
>> > The tonneau is of good quality with grain close to original and a
steering wheel
>> > pocket.
>> > It comes w/ hardware but not installed.  The zipper is plastic (I
wanted a brass
>> > one also-but will have one installed later) also of good quality.
Installation