Re: Riddle me this..... (little LBC)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Riddle me this..... (little LBC)
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:36:57 -0400
Cc: mgrazian@ltcm.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/9/99 5:22:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mgrazian@ltcm.com
> writes:
>
> << You are going to drive your LBC for 2 miles and you wish to average 60 MPH.
>  The first mile you drive 30 MPH.  How fast must you drive the 2nd mile to
>  average 60MPH? >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Standard rally stuff.  It takes 2 minutes to travel 2 miles at 60MPH.  To go
> 1 mile at 30MPH takes 2 minutes.  You can't get there from here.
>
> Allen Hefner
> Philadelphia Region SCCA Rally Steward (Really!)
> '77 Midget
> '92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Allen,

I don't get your answer.  The original question did not have any time
restrictions.
It just wants an average speed of 60 MPH for both miles.  If the first mile
is 30 MPH and then
then 2nd mile needs to be 90 MPH for the average speed to 60 MPH over both
miles.
 This assumes that you can go from 30 to 90 instantaneously.  If time
matters
(and I don't see why it does) the first mile would take 2 minutes and the
second 45 seconds.
Of course it was crap like this that caused me to dislike discrete math.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei
Average math skills :-)