Re: Found a big suprize (Kinda long)

To: Metallian6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Found a big suprize (Kinda long)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:31:55 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
James,
Gulp, this doesn't sound so good.  If I were you, I would take out the
right seat, all the carpet, then take a wire brush on a drill motor or
grinder and hold it to your worst rust spots to see how much metal is left
there.  Then take some pictures of the areas and post them on your web
site.  Let the body experts on this list advise you how bad it is.
If the leaf spring mounts are rusting away and you can see through your
rocker from the inside, this may mean thousands spent in bodywork.  You
may be better off buying a car or a body shell from the west coast with
very little or no rust.  This will be cheaper and better in the long run.
But I am no body man...

Ulix

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 Metallian6@aol.com wrote:

> Hi list. I took the drivers seat and the seat cushion from the passenger seat
> out the other day. Couldn't take passenger seat completely out cause someone
> put screws in the front frame holes and bent them over underneath the car and
> the seat is no longer mobile and the two back bolts are right under the
> frame. Going to let the bodyman deal with that. I ripped the carpet out and
> almost had a heart attack. The floor by the pedals was almost gone. No
> kidding I could see the grass that hasn't been mowed yet this spring. The
> floor pan where the drivers seat goes was ate out in the back were the leaf
> spring mounts to. Isn't much holding it there. On the passenger side there
> were a few holes but not to bad. The edge where the floor meets the side was
> a little ate out. I mean I could see daylight but not near as bad as the
> driver side. Now the side is another story. The side panel from the inside is
> bad. I can look through it from the drivers side and see my lawn. I am going
> to have the body work done first then I'll worry about the engine and tranny.
> I mean I have to have a good body to drop the engine into right. I just don't
> want to see it rust to the ground anymore than it already has. Sorry this was
> so long. Thanks for listening.
>
> James
> 1962 AH Sprite (Not feeling her best)
> 1979 Trans Am (The bat out of h*** hehehe)
> Web site links:
>  <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/darkside/mycar.html";>1962
> Austin-Healey Sprite Restoration
> </A>