Re: Turn signals kaput!

To: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Subject: Re: Turn signals kaput!
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I had the same idea when I saw the way it was designed -- there's certainly
other ways to wire the hazard.  I have worked up a wiring diagram for a relayed
hazard and many other changes, but I have not done all the work on the car yet
and therefore wouldn't recommend those changes without a trial run. I'll look
at it again tonite and see if there's an easy way to hook it up with separate
hazard that doesn't involve all the other changes (relays, different harness,
etc.) that I've been working on.....

An old quick-trick is to add a switch that connects to both sides of the
blinkers; this switch is your hazard switch. To use the hazard you then turn
this switch on, and also turn the blinker switch either right or left - both
sides then blink while the hazard switch is on.  I don't like this quick-trick.
It has several drawbacks, one of which is the fact that blinker power is
usually from the ignition switch only, so the setup wouldn't work without the
ignition switch being on.  What you really want is battery-hot power for the
hazard, and ignition-hot power for the blinkers.  Good practice also calls for
separate flasher units for blinker and hazard, such that hazard will work with
some lamps out, but blinker will freeze up when a lamp dies to warn you it's
out. You have to tie all this into the lamp circuits, with the blinker
side-selective and hazard on all lamps -- that's why it's a little complicated
and why you end up with these multi-pole switches to make the logic work.  When
I have the wiring diagram in front of me tonite I'll be able to offer some
better suggestions....

===

Michael B. Dietsche, P.E.