Re: Bugeye Transmission broke!

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Transmission broke!
From: Bruce Lowry <hotwheels@longviewtx.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:22:15 -0500
Cc: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

I had not thought of the broken axle possibility. It is one I will
investigate. I have a 67 Sprite donor car that my brother picked up in a
deal.....no transmission in it but most other parts. Is the rear end a
possible swap? I am in the midst of a cash crunch right now but I am blessed
with great facilitys and equipment. I just replaced the clutch, pressure plate
and bearing.
I do have another question to ask about what to expect from a bugeye. I have
adjusted carbs and tuned everything possible. Cosmo runs great (I think!!?)
But I have noticed that around 3200 rpm the little bugger just seems to
transform into a different car. I might have noticed earlier but was treating
Cosmo like a fragile child with short trips and not really pushing him. At
speed the exhaust note changes to a beautiful note. 4000 to 4500 is a real
rush and I chickened out at 5500. Speedo said over 100 but I know it is way
wrong and needs to be rebuilt. Is it these little cars nature to enjoy these
rpms as much as Cosmo does? I was in a glorious rush for about 35 minutes on
the interstate where we not only kept up with traffic but had the kick to pass
as needed and not be scared of not having enough oomph! I know I was probably
not setting any speed records, but the impression that I got was that I had
been mistreating this little beast by puttering around town and country roads.
I also found this to be very effective for vacuuming out loose bits of paper
that may be in the car.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know what happens!!
Bruce Lowry