Re: stubborn axle oil leak

To: otte@cats.ucsc.edu
Subject: Re: stubborn axle oil leak
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:47:30 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Ric,

With scratches on a bearing seal area, the seal lip is likely getting
chewed up in a real hurry.  There is a drain hole that allows the grease
to come out and down the outside of the backing plate.

I would suggest two things.

1.  Make sure the vent is open on the axle housing.

2. Get a repair piece for the scratched seal area from nearly any decent
bearing supply house.  Lots easier that swapping the whole assembly.
Repair pieces are routinely used on nearly all oil seal areas in industry
and automotive applications.

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com