Re: Poor Compression

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Poor Compression
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 12:06:57 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Did you check with the engine hot? I've found that for accurate compression
check, I need to bring the engine up to running temp, shut down, and check
asap. Weare gloves to protect against burns. Also, how much do you trust
your gauge? At a recent AHCA tech session, I found that one gauge was
consistent, the other gave occassional oddball readings in comparison. The
inconsistency is what led me to chuck it.

Jeff

At 9:42 AM -0400 5/4/99, Michael Graziano wrote:
> So last night I had two options for things to do.  1.  Do my laundry as I
> had no more work clothes, or 2. Check my compression for no apparent reason.
>
> Of course I check the compression.  And now the results.
>
> Cyl 1:        130
> Cyl 2:        130
> Cyl 3:        110
> Cyl 4:        130
>
> So now I'm concerned about #3.  About 500 miles ago,  they were all around
> 125 to 130.  Now the 125 ones are @ 130 and a 130 cyl is at 110.  I put in
> 5cc's of 20W50 and redid the test on #3 with no change.  5 more cc's (10
> total) and the PSI jumped to 125 from 110.  During that 500 miles,  I've
> changed from SAE 40 to 20W50.  Could that have contribute towards the
> difference?
>
> Could I have botched the valve adjustment,  or is this simply a sign of worn
> rings?  If the latter,  is there anything I could do (other than not drive
> the car) that will prolong the problem.  Probably not.....
>
> Michael
>
> '78 Midget 1500 (Who performed quite well on the 150 mile trip to Britfest)
>
> PS:  I wound up doing the laundry too.....  Not as much fun, that's for
> sure.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis