Front Wheel Bearings...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Front Wheel Bearings...
From: Richard Shipman <mbelect@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 11:50:53 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Greetings fellow spridgeteers!

My name is Richard and I've been lurking on the list for awhile and have
found it both informative and entertaining. I am in the process of restoring
a 1974 MG Midget and have started on the front suspension. I have a question
about wheel bearings... the ball bearings look like new but when the hub is
assembled, there is always a small amount of wheel-rock present. I'm tempted
to remove the "bearing spacer" in the assembly and tighten the retaining nut
just until snug, then back off to the next nearest cotter pin hole position.
This I believe would allow me to adjust the play out of the assembly, but
leaves me with a bad feeling since I'm leaving out a part that the original
designers considered necessary. On the other hand, many other cars front
wheel bearings do not have this spacer. My apologies to the list if this
topic has been covered. Any and all advise is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Richard Shipman
'74 MG Midget
'68 MGBGT