Re: front seal on the diff.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front seal on the diff.
From: Bill & Cindy <fatboy@metro.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 09:06:56 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>I will be pulling the rear end again in a few weeks.  anybody have a
>suggestion?   I Have tried also with axle back in car and handbrake on full
>and stil I turn the axle shafts while trying to remove that d**n nut.  I
>also have bent by 1/2" craftsman breakover bar trying this!

Bruce,

Though I have yet to have the pleasure of doing this job on our LBC...I
have had to do it on various old Fords and the like, and have used assorted
 techniques to remove pinion nuts.

The easiest and quickest way is an impact wrench. If you have air, a 1/2"
gun should rattle it right off. If not, then it's time to get creative.

Often, you can fabricate a bar that bolts to two ears of the the u-joint
flange and wedge this bar to the frame/body or workbench to keep the flange
from turning while you losen the nut with a 1/2" breaker bar, and cheater
pipe if necessary. You might have to grind/cut the bar a bit to clear the
socket if there is interference.

I have even gone so far as to fashion a plate that bolts to all four flange
bolt holes, drilled the center for socket clearance and then welded a bar
to it...but, then again...sometime the challenge becomes more consuming
than the task at hand...and I can get carried away. Just ask the wife!

Hope this helps some,

Bill & Cindy
Santa Rosa, CA

98 Sea Ray 190 BR