Re: New top (hood) installation

To: Danny Rendleman <dannyr@flint.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: New top (hood) installation
From: Scott Fisher <sefisher@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:44:25 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Danny Rendleman wrote:

> New Crown top arrived Saturday.  Temp should be in high 70's by the
> end of the week--which should be good putting on weather, I've heard.
> Any other words to the wise (or not so wise) regarding installation?

The old saw about measure twice -- cut once really applies here.  Get a
yellow grease pencil for making your alignment marks.  I traced a yellow
line around the front of the top where it would cross over the header
bar, then pulled it really snug before installing the retainer and
gluing it into place.

Pull it tighter.  No, I don't care how tight it is now, pull it tighter.

Have someone there to help you.

> Tools we'll need, pitfalls to look out for?  I will only (!) be
> reinstalling the header bar and the retainer bar.

The header bar is where you make or break your top installation.  Get a
good glue that will allow you some "fiddling" time -- not insta-set
contact cement.  You may want to slide it, readjust it, etc.  I've used
a 3M Trim Adhesive with good success on a couple of convertible tops.  I
think it comes off with denatured alcohol, it'll say on the box.

Get some good spring-clip clamps to hold it in place while the glue
cures.

Get sharp knives.  If they don't shave the hair off the back of your
hand, they're not sharp enough.

One final tip: while the old top is off, get some satin black
(semi-gloss black paint) and spray your top frame.  You'll be *amazed*
at how good that looks when you get it back in the car.

I did my top in a few hours -- Midgets are small enough that it's easy
to walk around them quickly, takes less time than doing a top on a big
car like a B or a Triumph. :-)

Have fun!  It's pretty easy, just go slowly and pay attention to
details, and test-fit everything before you cut or glue anything.

--Scott