Quarter-elliptics

To: "Spridget List (E-mail)" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Quarter-elliptics
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 09:12:36 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, what is the consensus on replacing quarter elliptic springs? I know
that, given the recent thread, (somebody hates that term) the best solution
would be to take mine to the spring shop and have them cleaned and
re-arched. However, I developed a "clonk" last night and, thinking it was
best to leave no clonk uninvestigated, crawled under there   to find a
cracked leaf.

I was just looking at a quarter elliptic car the other day and it had new
springs and it was in the usual butt-high position. So far I have seen two
cars with new springs and they were both like this. I don't want this, no.
Definitely not.
Is there a supplier that offers better quality than the usual catalogs?

Anything back in Blighty?

Are the "competition" 10-leaf springs available anywhere? Are they an
improvement? Conventional wisdom says that quarter elliptic cars are
oversprung in the rear, as stock, so I might like these, since I do
autocross the car.

Those who have gone with the ...ahem,..."less than desirable" springs: Did
you remove leaves? Which one(s)? Have them re-arched? If so what do I tell
the local spring guys? Do I tell them a rate? A height? Weight of the car?

Is it possible to repair the springs I have? I'd assume I'd have to do them
as a set, not just the side that's broken, so I'd be even. There is a shop
near my house (Healy Spring, no less) that has a very good reputation, so I
have access to some expertise. (I knew that living on the grimy,
industrial, working-class side of town would have it's advantages.) Again,
of course I'd have to know what I need to tell them, so I end up with what
I want.

Or does anybody have a set that's repairable?

So what's the advice of the list?

Phil Vanner
'61 Midget (limping a bit)