Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets

To: LRuggi2635@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:14:32 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/27/99 10:50:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LRuggi2635@aol.com writes:

<< Frank and others-- how do you all feel about the suitability of Spridgets
and
 other LBCs for young drivers?  I for one feel today's driving environment is
 decidedly more risky than the one I started out in 24+ years ago.  Any
 comments?  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I suppopse that an old sports car is not as crash worthy as a new, DOT
approved car with door bracing and air bags.  The later LBCs are probably a
little better than a Bugeye...maybe.  The only way to counter this is by
driver training.  Teach your kids how to be a defensive driver.  Teach them
how to control the car.  If they can drive well enough to avoid an accident,
they will probably be okay.  Even if they get in an accident, if they attempt
to avoid it, they will lessen the damage to themselves and the car.

The biggest problem is that most of the driving public doesn't get adequate
driver training.  If they get into a position that could result in an
accident, they freeze and don't even attempt to control the car.  Accident
avoidance has to be automatic when you are driving.  You have to
instinctively do whatever will keep you alive, be it braking, swerving, or
speeding up to avoid contact.  The only way to develop the instinct is to
practice.

Of course, it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that having a good
set of seatbelts AND USING THEM is also important.  As is keeping the car in
good condition...brakes, suspension, and engine.

Perhaps a newer LBC would be a better choice than an original older car with
drum brakes all 'round.  Just for better stopping distance.  Put in a
rollover bar, too.

After you are sure your kid understands the basics of car control and driving
in traffic, you might consider one of the good driver training courses
available at most race tracks.  These can be expensive, but how much is your
kid worth?  Most SCCA regions offer a novice school for new autocross drivers
for a very low cost.  These are good at teaching how to drive at the limit,
and allow the driver to test his/her skills in a safe environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport