Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:30:52 -0400
Cc: LRuggi2635@aol.com, spritenut@Exit109.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I don't think there's a good "catch-all" answer.

Out of my high school gratuating class of 250, about 10% were dead from
traffic accidents before I was out of College.  Most of us had the same
driver's ed instructor, and friends of mine died in everything from an
MGB GT to a Volvo.  Some of them were irresponsible and/or drunk, but
some of them were good, responsible kids who just got in over their
heads behind the wheel.

My father insisted that I know how to really drive well before I was
allowed to get my license, and then trusted me to do so in whatever
vehicle I found myself in.  I would have certainly been safer in an
accident in a late model Midget than in the '59 VW I actually drove, but
the fact is that I never HAD an accident, because (a) I was taught to
drive well, and (b) drove vehicles capable of being driven well.  That's
not to say that I and my passengers didn't have some tense moments.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you feel you have to worry about
whether the car your kid is driving will provide them enough crash
protection, you should maybe reconsider whether they should have the
privlege of driving.