Spridgets vs. bigger cars

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridgets vs. bigger cars
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:54:58 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have to say that through experience, Midgets are pretty solid cars.
When I was 16, I ran off the road in my 1975 Midget on several
occasions, one of which resulted in becoming airborn (wet muddy roads, a
curve, slick tires, and inexperience).  The Midget survived with only a
ding and broken exhaust the time I got airborn.  One of the times I did
a nose dive (well, hit at an angle) and dug a hole in the ground but did
no damage to us or the car.  Not hilights in my driving career, for
sure, but I'm still alive.

On yet another occasion, I had a truck make a left-hand turn (oncoming)
across my Midget.  I went from 60 to 0 in about 0 seconds.  Neither of
us in the Midget were hurt at all, and it wrapped the fender down onto
the wheel.  I pried the fender off the wheel, drove back to base, and
then later drove the 540 miles back to Tennessee. The estimate for
repairs was about $3500.  I had the same thing happen in a '93 Honda
Civic (truck in oncoming lane lost control)(something about me and
trucks) and the front end of the car was almost obliterated, and I still
(5 years later) have neck and back pain.  Damages to the Civic were
about $5000.

I'll try to dig up some pics of the damage to the Midget and post them
on my site this weekend.

Anyway, I have found that the Midget is actually pretty safe.  After
all, that is a LOT of steel.  Oh well, just my .02.

Adrian,
alive and kickin after surviving his own driving as a youngster in a
Midget

J. Adrian Barnes
Business Information Group
http://www.workgroup.net