Re: Sealing frame members

To: <Lancer7676@aol.com>, <suhs2@hotmail.com>, <CONAN@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Sealing frame members
From: "Guy" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 06:35:40 +0100
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, so if not cat juice, then try waxoyl
Waxoly makers claim that the fluid "creeps" into seams when still fairly
liquid, and then semi-hardens as the volatile stuff evaporates off.
In a damp climate the problem with lapped spot-weld seams is that
condensation forms between the jointed surfaces and this is the area where
there is no paint, and rust starts.
On my Sprite I have use waxoyl, diluted with spirit first so that it will
penetrate the seam.
Then I used a standard seam sealer painted on over the joint edges.  When
that has dried (about a week) I then painted over it all (looks better), and
finally sprayed with waxoyl again.