Re: 1275 Tech. Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275 Tech. Question
From: "Alan Inglis" <ainglis@bcresearch.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:57:09 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

I loved the sound, too. But now it is gone.
British Columbia runs a compulsory emissions testing programme in urban areas -
and my car failed. I was most indignant but then I talked to someone with a lot
more knowledge than I. When I listened this is what I learned:
The car idled roughly and while it would always start, it started inconsistently
with sometimes more, sometimes less choke. He told me that high vacuum pressures
occur at idle and even higher vacuum pressures on overrrun. If I had any inlet
manifiold leaks this is when they would show up and they would result in
missfires with unburnt fuel carried out the exhaust valve which then caused the
crackle and pop.
Spray your inlet manifold, and carbs, carefully with something like WD 40. Two
things can happen: the idle smooths out  nicely, briefly, due to the lubricant
sealing the leaks for a moment, but, more likely, the aerosol propellant and
volatiles will be sucked in and cause the engine to speed up. Either means that
you have an inlet air leak.
My inlet system had about 6 leaks (vacuum lines gone hard, loose vent lines etc)
but some where also caused by grounding the exhaust system!
Alan
---------------------- Forwarded by Alan Inglis/BC Research/CA on 06/01/99 10:18

"Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com> on 06/01/99 01:00:51 AM

Please respond to "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>