Re: Installing new brushes in a generator?

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing new brushes in a generator?
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:06:53 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Jay:

I must respectfully take issue with your statements.  Please note that no
flaming is intended.

>How or why does someone own one of these cars and not own one or more
>service manuals.

I own one manual for each car I have.  Didn't get any of 'em until after
I had already owned the vehicle for a bit of time.  In addition, I have
had to ask questions while I was awaiting a manual's delivery, or to get
far enough ahead to afford one.

>Every owner should own a Bentley Manual, which is a duplicate of the
>factory manual, as well as a Haynes Manual which is a practical manual
>for the owner/backyard wrench.

Unfortunately, this is not always a reasonable expense.  Next, as we all
must consider, these manuals are sometimes as clear as mud.  See any
number of references to "Reassembly is the reverse of the above...."

>These manuals are available and $25.00-$50.00 for a couple of books
>seems pretty reasonable.

As noted, not always reasonable.  I can buy school books or a manual.
Get a Haynes, or the daughter a new pair of shoes.  While I understand
your point, I must suggest that 'reasonable' is a purely subjective
thing.  What you find to be inexpensive, I might find cost prohibitive.
Occasionally (in my case, often), it's just a matter of personal
finances.

Next, I would note that if all the answers were in the manuals, and we
all owned and used manuals, this list would not exist.  A grand source of
camaraderie and knowledge would thus be lost.

Finally, even the most exerienced mechanic runs into something that
stumps them, and requires a fresh viewpoint.  Perhaps the answer is
written in a manual somewhere, but if one were to suggest that they
somehow lacked certain skills, etc, for not having looked it up, I tend
to think that the derision to follow would be well earned.

This aside, I often an amazed at the number of people who do not have
even the most rudimentary knowledge or skills necessary to work on LBCs.
Yet they still try and do their part to preserve the breed.  Everyone has
to start out somewhere, generally with no knowledge, just as you and I
(and everyone on the list) did.  I find it better to encourage the
interest, and help along those with questions.....

Hope you have a grand day!

Rich
Council Bluffs, Iowa

'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"  (LBC Support Vehicle)
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"

richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com