RE: Buying a "kit " car

To: "'Hal Faulkner'" <faulkner@redshift.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Buying a "kit " car
From: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:19:30 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello Hal ,
My car is essentially a "kit" car . Try to find a car that is not too rusty
, and has no major
collision damage . An unmolested car with all the hard to find bits and
pieces would be great.
My car needed everything that wares out replaced . It was also missing many
of the Bugeye
only "Bits and Pieces" I have found almost every hard to find missing part .
I suspect that it
would have been cheaper to buy a car that had all the pieces . Plan on
buying a new wiring
harness , hydraulics , all rubber parts , suspension , bearings , interior
trim , carpets . The
list is never ending . I have been working on my car for over a year now .
All of the ancillary parts
have been restored , glass beaded , repainted , or what ever else it took to
make the parts like
new . On parts that were in nice condition I've tried to retain the patina
of age so as not to polish
the cars sole away . I am concentrating on the body work now . Every panel
at one time or another
had been dented and Bondo'd . I bought a MIG welder and replacement panels
from England .
So far the panel fit is very impressive . When finished it will have very
little lead , and almost
no plastic . I will have the car professionally repainted . I am doing this
work in a one car garage
that I have turned into a shop . I think the project will take a total of 3
- 3.5 years , and cost between
10 and 15K . It is an extremely satisfying experience to bring a Sprite back
from the dead . I am
almost giddy every time I turn another old part into a new jewel . We
consider the Sprite
to be a part of the family . We plan to attend "Sprite Spree ' 03"
If you have the time and patience ... go for it !
Mark Hanna
AN5L/13731