Re: Buying a "kit " car

To: faulkner@redshift.com
Subject: Re: Buying a "kit " car
From: Jpp963@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:20:04 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hal -
I finally had a few minutes to respond to your post. I bought a bugeye
project car in Nov 98.  This is my first Sprite, though not my first attempt
at a total restoration.  This was a car on which the restoration was started
14 years and 2 owners ago.

<< 1. What you paid. Was it too much?

I try not to think about this question too much.

 2. General condition of the car. How much body work was necessary? Did you
 do it yourself or hire someone to do it?

My car was advertised as "ready for paint".  It took another 40 hours of work
to get it ready, and I wasn't shooting for show car quality. I recommend
doing the prep work and sending it out for paint.  Shops that do restorations
are hard to find in my area and are expensive to boot.  Also, if you're
getting a bugeye find one with a decent bonnet, as they're tricky to get
right if they require extensive work.  Find a body shop that's willing to
work with you.

 3. How long did it take you to finish the project?

Still working on it, estimate 2 more months to roadability.  Everything
usually takes twice as long as planned

 4. How much space did you need/have for the project  eas it enough? Were
 there any tools that you would not do the job without?

Since the cars are so small a 1 car garage is adequate. Besides basic
mechanic tools and air compressor / air tools recommend small parts washer
and sand blasting cabinet to make job easier.

5. If you were doing it again, what would you look for in a car in boxes?

 I bought this car sight unseen.  Make a list of major parts and verify that
you're getting them. I would make sure that things have been labeled and
stored properly.  I picked up a parts car which is a great reference when
reassembling things, and as a source for missing bits.

 6. Would you do it again? >>
Yes.  And now I'll have one to drive while restoring the other.

Pete Gajdosik
Southington, CT