Re: Cooling garages/Doors/Horns

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling garages/Doors/Horns
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:52:19 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
sfooshee wrote:

> "J. Adrian Barnes" wrote:
>
> > I actually started doing some work on the '75 again this weekend in
> > between all my other projects (work-related).  How do you folks keep
> > your garages cool?  I found that I couldn't stay out there later than
> > about 9-10 am because of the sweat/heat factor (in Tennessee).  I have a
> > fan or two but they just don't seem to do the trick.
>
>     Not having a garage, I'm not very sympathetic :), but my friend has a
> large centrifugal fan in his garage (where I do a lot of work on my RX-7).
> Very much worth the cost of one, as it has a huge amount of flow which can
> be creatively directed to cover a lot of space better than an oscillating
> unit, and provide "super cooling" directly in front of it for when you get
> close to melting.

I have a wall mounted AC unit in my shop, and while it is not big enough
to make the place feel like a food storage locker, it does keep it
comfortable. I find that the curtains that i pull over the drive in door
during the winter, serve the same purpose in the summer to keep outside
air out. It takes about 4 hours to drop the temperature 20 degrees F,
(or  900 degrees Celsuis, ooops, wrong conversion factor). This is in a
concrete block building with 8 foot ceilings and no insulation, that
houses my four ragtops and one race car.

Lately with the outside temperature being 95 during the day and 75 at
night, I have been sleeping on a cot in the shop to stay cool. Is this
one of the benefits of being a bachelor????

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC