Re: Minilite & Tires again followup..... Help Tires are rubbing!!!

To: Mymgmidget@aol.com
Subject: Re: Minilite & Tires again followup..... Help Tires are rubbing!!!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike,
is it rubbing in a straight line or only in corners?  (then you need a
Panhard rod)

Compare clearances left and right.  Is there much more clearance on the
left?  Then you can try to move your axle over (or let the Panhard rod do
it?)

If you gind the inner lip, grind only part ways to the spot welds.

Ulix

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 Mymgmidget@aol.com wrote:

> Well,  the fun is over and a 63.00 Dunlop is toasted  :-(      I fit the
> 165/70 13's on the Minilites !! Awesome look and awesome road feel.   Driving
> by myself, everything is fine.  Added a passenger and discovered that the
> right rear wheel is rubbing on the fender lip.  Ruined a brandy new tire.
> New one is on order now,  I have been told that you can "roll" the inner lip
> of the fender up so it will not scrape any more.  Someone said a baseball bat
> can be used.  Seems like a bat is too big and I'll bend out the fender.
> Should I just take a grinder to the fender and remove the inner lip ??
> Someone please make some suggestions so I can get back on the road (minus
> Rostyles and 155's).  Just for info, The springs were replaced with new ones
> from Moss last spring !!!
>
> TIA,
> Mike

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9