Re: Minilite & Tires again followup..... Help Tires are rubbing!!!

To: sfooshee <fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us>
Subject: Re: Minilite & Tires again followup..... Help Tires are rubbing!!!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Mymgmidget@aol.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Get a Panhard Rod.
If you absolutely need more space, you can grind the lip to the spot welds
and use a bottle jack horizontally.  Remove the wheel, set the foot of the
jack against the wheel well wall and have the piston of the jack press
against a piece of 2x4 set against the fender from the inside just above
the lip.
If you are very careful and use the right size piece of wood, you can get
good results...

Ulix

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, sfooshee wrote:

>     I have the same size (or maybe 60-series...?) tires on my wahr wheels with
> similar results. Scrapes on hard (aren't they all, though?) left turns with or
> without passenger. I spent about 45 minutes with a block of wood and hammer
>to no
> avail. The condition of my exterior doesn't warrant much concern for
>aesthetics,
> so I was hitting it pretty hard. If you get clearance, please let me know how.
>
> Mymgmidget@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Well,  the fun is over and a 63.00 Dunlop is toasted  :-(      I fit the
> > 165/70 13's on the Minilites !! Awesome look and awesome road feel.
>Driving
> > by myself, everything is fine.  Added a passenger and discovered that the
> > right rear wheel is rubbing on the fender lip.  Ruined a brandy new tire.
> > New one is on order now,  I have been told that you can "roll" the inner lip
> > of the fender up so it will not scrape any more.  Someone said a baseball
>bat
> > can be used.  Seems like a bat is too big and I'll bend out the fender.
> > Should I just take a grinder to the fender and remove the inner lip ??
> > Someone please make some suggestions so I can get back on the road (minus
> > Rostyles and 155's).  Just for info, The springs were replaced with new ones
> > from Moss last spring !!!
> >
> > TIA,
> > Mike

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9