Re: Importing a car from Canada...

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Importing a car from Canada...
From: William Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:42:13 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks for all the input.  This afternoon I spoke with both the office
of US Customs and the actual inspectors in Detroit.

They have assured me that since the car is earlier than 1967 and in
excess of 25 years old, no paperwork other than proof of
purchase/ownership will be needed.  Depending on their research (based
on the prior US registration I will provide) there may even be no
tariff. Worst case is a 2.5% import tax.

They also don't care if the trailer is tagged or not, but said that the
local law enforcement on both sides may.

So, I intend to give it a try this weekend.

Thanks again!

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI