Midget behaving badly again...

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget behaving badly again...
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:33:58 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

Started the car up again last night, and from what I can hear, the engine
sounds pretty good.  And I believe that the engine was rebuilt fairly
recently (by the previous owner), and as it was up North, it is unlikley
that it ever had to deal with really hot weather in a long time.  As far as
whether or not I installed a blanking plate when the thermostat came out, I
guess my proper response would be "What's a blanking plate?"

A 160 degree thermostat will be ordered, also shortly will be a new gas cap,
since the inside of the current one looks quite dingy (beyond the scope of a
cleaning).

However, Mrs. Sorkin reminded me that with the weather as it is, I really
didn't enjoy driving around sitting in direct sunlight in a black interior
car with vinyl seats either. But the vapor lock issue sounds important, so I
will be addressing that shortly.

Thank's for the lively debate on the subject of the gulp valve.  The Hayne's
manual describes the function of the valve as to "leaning in the mixture" to
prevent running on when the engine stops running at full throttle (i.e.,
when decelerating).  This would seem to me that when doing normal highway
driving, the gulp valve serves no function whatsoever.  Since 99.9(9?)% of
the time I am not decelerating rapidly, the valve plays a very small role in
reducing emissions, and thus its removal would cause no harm.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget (it needs to learn some discipline)
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ