MIG Gas Mess...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: MIG Gas Mess...
From: Richard Shipman <mbelect@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:02:35 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Listers,

I would like to tell you about an experience I just had in the hopes that it
will help others avoid the same problems...

I just purchased a new MIG Welder and went out yesterday to get a bottle of
Argon/CO2 Gas. Well, my local gas supply house rolled out a tank and I took
it home *assuming* that it was full.

When I attached the regulator and opened the tank valve, I found out it
contained about 20 PSI of gas! (empty).

I returned to the gas place today and they apologized and brought me a
second tank that they said they had checked and verified was full.

I took the tank out to my car and installed my regulator and checked the
tank pressure. It was 1100 PSI (only half full!)

I took the tank right back in and made them bring out another tank that I
tested right inside the store. This third tank had 2600 PSI. Technically,
this one was also wrong (overfilled), but that was OK with me. (We also be
tight)

The moral I learned was whenever I buy gas from now on, I'm verifying the
tank right at the store. I live about 1 hour from the nearest gas supplier
so for me it was a big waste of time. Hope someone learns from my mistake.

Having done my first welds with MIG gas has made it all worth-while. My
earlier attempts with self-shielding wire were disappointing, but the MIG
process really improves the weld quality!

Thanks for listening.

Richard Shipman
'74 Midget
'68 MGBGT