Top Protection - Need a Lawyer?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Top Protection - Need a Lawyer?
From: "Daryl and Jennifer May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:10:00 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Back on the list again, with a MGB question that I know will get help from
my spridget friends.

My employer is relocating me.  The contract requires him to transport my
cars.  Sometimes he does this in the closed moving van (good rain
protection), but at this busy moving season he tells me it will be an open
car transporter (no rain protection). The relocation is to and through a
rain belt.

I live in California where an open car is a perfectly viable means of
transportation.  My top exists but it will not withstand rain or the
highway speeds at which these guys go.  I am not in a position to replace
or repair the top (I already moved, and there's no time).

The movers prohibit use of car covers, and won't undertake anything else
special.

Question is whether I have a right to a more protective move, and whether
the employer is liable for rain damage.  On the one hand, he is not
protecting my car.  On the other hand, is it reasonable for him to expect
me to have a good top after 20 years?

Thanks!