Re: Top Protection - Need a Lawyer?

To: walters@mail.softcom.net, mayfam@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: Top Protection - Need a Lawyer?
From: RBHouston@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 15:14:41 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/31/99 10:01:42 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
walters@mail.softcom.net writes:

> The car carrier won't put a cover on it because it damages the paint.  Is
>  there some way to shrink wrap a car?

Actually there is.  Do you have any friends in the shipping business?
Roadway, Yellow, RPS, UPS, etc?  ..or go to a Material Handling supplier
listed in the yellow pages.
Shrink wrap, kind of indistrial strength Saran wrap is sold by the roll.
Shippers use it to shrink wrap cartons onto pallets.  If you can be there
when they load the car, get a buddy to help, put the tanneau on or the top up
and wrap that sucker.  Start at the bottom of a door, slam the door on it
maybe, go over the top and pass the roll to the assistant.  He (she) can take
it down the other side and pass it to you under the car.

The wrap is stretchy, so keep a tension on it, and it will hg the car.  I've
used it to wrap the evaporative cooler on the roof of my house for the winter.

When the car arrives, just cut it off with a pocket knife or a box cutter,
and take it off the truck.

Good luck, and keep in mind you'll have a better chance of holding the
carrier responsible if you do everything you can on your end to prevent
damage.  Take pictures before it leaves, and if the drivers give you a hard
time about wrapping or tarping the car, tell them you want a letter signed by
them that the carrier will be responsible for all water damage because you
weren't allowed to protect your car.

Robert Houston

PS, if you have stated value insurance, give a letter with that stated value
to the carrier so you wont be stuck with "book value".