Re: Some further Midget musings

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Some further Midget musings
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:13:33 -0700
Cc: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles:

Checking a ribcase tranny for oil level is a blast (just one more reason to
switch to a 5-spd IMHO).  After discovering that no socket in your tool box
actually fits the bolt, you will drop it in the tranny tunnel never to be
found.  Then you squirt oil on your carpet as you try and watch for it to
overflow out of the fill hole.

Seriously, maybe not quite that bad but close.  Never use gear oil in the
ribcase, though.  The sulfur in it is bad for the bearings and syncros.  Use
straight non-detergent single viscosity, like a 40 weight.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on gearbox oil, these are just mine.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, never park on a hill.  If you are facing
down hill, the oil will leak out the front of the tranny onto the clutch,
and if you are parked facing uphill, the oil will leak out the engine onto
the clutch.  Just another of the endearing qualities we all cherish.

David Riker
74 Midget (I really do love this car)
63 Falcon