1098 rebuild

To: mikeg@vicnet.net.au
Subject: 1098 rebuild
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:09:49 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Mike and others,
I've decided to go with Link Automotive for my rebuild.
Naturally, its going to end up a bit more expensive than hoped, at $800, but
considering that KG engineering quoted me $2200 to rebuild my last 1100 with
no performance mods, $800 ain't so bad.
Here's the rundown:
Grind crank........................$100
Hone bores and hot tank block......$65
Ring set...........................$120 (!)
Mains, big ends, & thrusts.........$90
Cam bearings.......................$23
cam thrust.........................$25
duplex timing chain & gears........$105
grind cam to factory #731 spec.....$75
cam followers......................$32
oil pump...........................$45
welsh & gallery plugs..............$10
clean galleries & fit plugs .......$25
conversion gasket set..............$25
head gasket set....................$25
surface block......................$45

boggles me that the single most expensive item is the rings !?
Brian said that the hepolite pistons are the reason and that retail for the
rings is about $170! thats >$8 per ring!
Is there anything I appear to be neglecting....small ends perhaps?
thanks for any tips...on assembly for instance..?
Is the choice of cam a wise one? I do want a bit of GO! I learned on
stripping it down that  the cam was a standard sprite one, so I expect that
the car is going to be more fun than ever....I sure hope so anyway.
Andy