Cool LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Cool LBC
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:08:20 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
For those who know, I have been considering Air conditioning in my
daughters A40.
Well It has happened! And it works great! It ices up the coils.
I took the AC unit out of the Austin Marina before I gave it to the kid
up the street. I made a few very minor mods to the bracket (Marina has
an MGB engine)
Bolted it up, ran the hoses through the hole where the steering column
would go if RHD, mounted the evaporator under the dash and used my Lucas
Auxiliary switch plate for the 2 knobs.
I had it charged up today and it works perfect. Real cold, not any
noticeable power lose.
The AC shop was amazed at the fit of everything, they said it looks
"period" which made me feel good about this challenge. I had to relocate
the radiator expansion tank, solenoid, and washer bottle. Room under the
bonnet is now scarce.
Total cost was $75 for the R-12. The unit came in a free car, I didn't
have to buy anything. I used a hacksaw blade, a drill, a grinder, some
wrinkle paint for the bracket. I only had to drill one hole in the car
for the condensate drip tube.
Engine temp only went up about 8* when idling with the air on full.
I am a happy, cool LBC driver today! Too bad my daughter gets to drive
it.

This unit can and will fit right in a Sprite/Midget 1275 since that's
what engine is in the A40.

Now onto the cruise control and remote door locks.......
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ