Re: Drilled rotors

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Drilled rotors
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: gottstein@erols.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ajhsys@aol.com says:

> In a message dated 8/23/99 11:43:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> gottstein@erols.com writes:
>
> <<    Apparently I need to get new front rotors for my Midget, so I was
>  wondering, is it worthwhile to get those "performance" drilled rotors, or
>  will I be fine with the regular replacement kind?  Anything to stop the
>  little guy faster would be welcomed. >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> The reason for cross drilling brake rotors is to vent hot air away from the
> pads, thereby reducing fade.  This is really only necessary when you are
> driving in competition.  On the road your pads will have plenty of time to
> cool between braking.
>
> If you have experienced a lot of brake fade in whatever type of driving you
> do, go for the drilled rotors.  If you haven't, stay with the less expensive
> solids.  Theoretically, a solid rotor has more surface area than a cross
> drilled rotor, so it should stop the car faster, until the pads overheat.
> (IMHO of course.)

And if youare experiencing enough fade and heat to warrant "cross drilled"
rotors, you will likely also be experiencing enough heat and stress to snap
the rotor from the hub like a cheap straw hat.

You are much better off getting solid rotors slotted.  A competent
machinist can cut the grooves the same depth as the recommended wear, and
then not only will you get the benefits of gas venting and cooling, but
also the strength of a solid rotor and a tell tale for rotor wear.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com